Songs I'm Liking Right Now

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Garden Therapy


Have I told you how much I love to garden.

It's so therapeutic. So encouraging. Refreshing.

When I worked at the flower shop, I think I basically spent my paycheck on plants. And plants. And more plants. I just could not get enough.

I have gotten better. Mostly because I am not surrounded by plants anymore so the temptation has been removed.

But, I must admit, on a day like today...I long for a shopping cart, some plastic for my car and trip around the perineal area.

Yesterday, Tom got so excited when he saw we had fresh lavender growing. I saw this little sparkle in his eye. I know that sparkle. It's the sparkle that says, can you believe we did this? The sight of new growth is so encouraging.

I made the mistake of not planting my mint in a pot last year. Yep, you guessed it, it's everywhere. My next idea is actually to take a bunch of the mint and plant it into the front lawn. We don't want a lawn. We want ground covers, plants and stone. I want to sit and drink tea, instead of fertilizing and raking. Well, ok, I'll probably have to rake no matter what..darn.

Stella did not leave us much in terms of curb appeal. Last spring I dug up the whole side of the house, tested the soil, added what we needed, mulched, filled it with compost and gave it tons of love. Hopefully, this year will be a little easier.

My morning glory and moonflower seeds are soaking and I just can't wait to plant them. This year, I'm going to get them out there early.

There is an herb farm that we adore called the Peconic Herb Farm. I just can't wait to get there this season. We make an afternoon of it. We sit by the Peconic river, take pictures and shop. It's one of my favorite springtime Saturday's.

I'll be sure to post pictures of the yard soon.

Oh, and don't forget to buy some ladybugs for your garden this year.

Yeah for the springtime,

Jenn



No comments: