Songs I'm Liking Right Now

Friday, April 4, 2008

Pick Me...



Most of the time my jewelry comes with a story. A story that involves me, or someone I am close to. So, it's actually a very healing and liberating process for me.

For instance, my Pick Me earrings. Of course, they resemble a flower. While I was making them, I thought about the person who might pick this flower. And then my thoughts took me back.

Back today July 15th, 2005.

My first "Match" date. The day a I met Tom.

I was this petrified little girl standing in front of shoe store. Or maybe I should say hiding. I was scared to death!!

I had a good pep talk, from my sister in-law, Kim. It's just coffee, Jenn. Don't worry. Oh, and don't be suprised if me and Rich might just happen to be in Sayville tonight. I must admit, I felt safer, but still so scared.

I stood there waiting. The first date outside of the past 17 years of my life.

I'll never forget the moment I saw him. I was scared shit! He was wearing flip flops, the coolest jeans I had ever seen and had this walk. If you know him, you know what I'm talking about. It was this walk that said, I'm confident. I'm me. I like myself. And I'm not a bullshitter.

At then came the smile. It was a smile that said, hello. Not, hey baby, ya wanna get busy and freaky with me?

We sat down, with our coffee, and he shut off his cell phone. And instantly I was impressed. Did I tell you he was wearing flip flops?

And there we sat, drinking coffee and talking with not a break in conversation. Well, there was the moment when he asked me if I had hands because I was so nervous I had them under the table.

And then, he started talking about how he wants to have long hair when he is old and how he doesn't wear a bicycle helmet for many reasons and I knew. I knew I could listen to his ideas on hair and helmets, forever.

He was charming, but in a different way. A way that I had never seen on a man before. And I was secretly hoping this charm would change my world.

As we ended the coffee "meeting", he said, I think this went well. And I analyzed those words over and over again until the next phone call.

I then bored my family to sleep with every detail. At one point my Mom said, yes, we know he wears flip flops.

And I knew some people thought I was ridiculous, but I didn't care. For the first time in my life, I was going to trust my gut. I hadn't been giving it the credit it deserved in forever.

The rest of the summer, we saw each other...casually. And while I tried to be casually calm, I was secretly screaming, pick me! I've already picked you...But, there was no way I was going to say it.

And then on Sept 27th, he said, hey, would you want to be my girl? And I thought, be cool Jenn, be cool. And I said ok. And then he said, no, I mean really be my girl? I'm not sure if he remembers exactly how he said it, but, it was the sweetest words I have ever heard.

The next day, I said to my Mom, I think we are dating, what do you think being his girl means? I think I analyzed the tone of his voice for like the next 3 hrs. I remember my Mom saying, oh here we go again....Jenn, you asked me this 5 times, she laughed. Do you realize you repeat yourself? And yes, she said, I know he wears flip flops.

Two and half years later, I smile as I plant the flowers in our yard and he talks about his hair getting long.

Not a day goes by that I don't look at him and think, I'm so glad he picked me.

So basically, what I'm saying is when you buy a piece of my jewelry, your not just buying metal and glass. Your buying a piece of my story.

P.S. Did I tell you he wears flip flops? :)

No comments: