Songs I'm Liking Right Now

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

You'll Never Look At a Shopping List the Same Again...



I just read, A la Cart:
The Secret Lives of Grocery Shoppers by Hillary Carlip. I'm telling you, if you read this, you will be excited to find an old shopping list in your grocery cart.

Hillary basically collects found shopping lists. She takes those normally "trashed" pieces of paper and turns them into, what I think are, people profiles. Using the words on the paper, she creates life stories. And it doesn't stop here. She actually dresses up, just like the people.

If you are looking for a fun, quick read, this is for you. If your a fan of Amy Sedaris(I am), I think you will like this too. It is the same type of humor. Note, it's not for everyone.

The teacher in me came out when I was reading this book. I thought, how cool would it be if you brought these lists(the clean, politically correct ones) into a classroom and had the students write stories based on the lists. It would reinforce the power of a good brainstorm and let the students think outside of the box. Just a thought.

Anyway, I give it a great big smiley face.

:)
J

No comments: