Songs I'm Liking Right Now

Sunday, February 8, 2009

At Least Respect

I've been thinking a lot about respect lately and how there isn't enough of it in my life.

This week, I have had a few instances, where I was basically treated as if I don't exist. As if my feelings don't matter. As if I am invisable.

And I'm tired of it.

People don't have to like me. They don't have to go out of their way for me. They don't have to agree with me. BUT, they do have to respect me.

I do not demand much. But I, from this point foward, will demand respect. No one has the right to throw up on me with their words or actions.

People have the right to disagree with me. But they will no longer be given the right, to talk down to me or dismiss me. Bad behavior is not acceptable.

It may have taken me a long time to get here. But, I'm here. Mostly because of my experience, but also because I live with a man who gives respect, and expects respect. He's never mean. Never hurtful. And always owns whatever actions he takes. Never blames others. Has manners. He does the right thing.

He has shown me a different way to live. The right way. The way things always should haven been, and weren't.

We all should expect, at the least, respect. It's our right. Your right. My right.

5 comments:

Art by Darla Kay said...

Love your blog! You seem to say just what I need to hear ♥

Lucrecer said...

Excellent message. And, you are right on with respect. Right on.

suzi whitaker said...

You sound pretty awesome and what a lucky sweetie you have...and what a lucky sweetie he has too! Hope I find that some day.

You are inspiring, thanks!

Jenn Jorgensen said...

Thank you for so many kind words!!!

Anonymous said...

Damn right! It took my a long while to get there too but I'm there and I'm glad you are too!