Songs I'm Liking Right Now

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Nanny Would Be 80


My Nanny would have been 80 yesterday. She would have wanted a huge party. Lots of presents. A big, delicious cake and music. And, we would have given that party to her.

She had a big spirit. A zest for life. Attitude. She said what she felt. She didn't hold back. She told you when you were wrong, but also told you when you were right.

She'd fight with you and for you. And she never said anything she didn't mean.

The older I get, the more I see of her in me. And I understand, more than ever, that just because you laugh loud, doesn't mean you don't cry just as loud. Having a strong spirit, doesn't mean you don't feel. And saying what you feel, doesn't make you mean.

We are our truth. And holding back, it just doesn't feel right.

I may be late, Nanny. But, I know your listening. Thank you for being you. And for helping me, be me

(this photo is an old one, Nanny is in the middle. I added paint and texture, to canvas)

No comments: