Songs I'm Liking Right Now

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Our Homemade Deck



So, at the end of our construction, we had dirt. No grass. No trees. Just dirt. It looked like our house was surrounded by dessert. It wasn't pretty.

And, at the end of construction, well, you know how it goes, your out of money. So, we had to come up with inexpensive ideas to landscape the property. Well, pretty much my thoughts were, what can we do to cover the dirt?

One of my ideas was to build a deck outside our side entrance. In my mind it would be, level the ground a bit, throw down some bricks and move on. Well, I was wrong. Nothing is that easy. And, thank goodness Hubcap is the engineer in the relationship.

We had to get bricks(I was able to get 500 bricks for 50 bucks on Craigslist. I liked these because they were worn and old, not new and "Home Depot".

Then we got some wood. That cost around 80 bucks.

And then we got some RCA, some sand, and some gravel and some landscape paper.

Tom spent hours and hours working on this. Most of the cost, was in time. But, I truley think the time we will spend enjoying it, will make it truly worthwhile. Plus, there is a little less sand outside to landscape.

All in all, it was a successful project. We are really with it.

No comments: