Songs I'm Liking Right Now

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Help Me Josie!

Every year since my Nanny, Josephine, died...... Christmas Eve has been a settle. Nothing we do feels right.

The food, the decorations, the music. It was nostalgic, in a whimsical sort of way. Her house was soaked with love. Animated Santas. You could hear the Chipmunk's singing 3 houses away. It was a feeling I can't seem to replicate.

I think when she died, so did the Christmas Eve magic.

We tried making the seafood. It sucked. We tried having it catered. It tasted catered. Nothing looked right or tasted right or felt right without her. So this year, I decided to do something different.

Tom and I are hosting Christmas Eve, and serving take out. We aren't going to replicate her meal, I'm going to start a new tradition. The way she did Christmas Eve, is the way she did Christmas Eve. I just can't do it.

So no more Italian seafood. This year, it's Japanese.

So Nanny, the truth is, you did Christmas Eve so well, our Nanny wanna-be-meals don't compare.

So your Italian grandaughter is not serving fried shrimp this year. Instead sushi. It's the only way I can think of to keep your holiday memories alive, without feeling like I've failed.

But, I promise...the Chipmunks will be heard at my neighbor's house....three doors away.

I miss you Nanny.
Enjoy your Calamari with Poppy this year, ok?

Love you always,

Nej-ella

No comments: