Songs I'm Liking Right Now

Saturday, April 26, 2008

I'm Going To Hang My Ovary On My Wall




I know, right now your thinking, what???????????

But, it's true. Soon I will be posting a "picture" of my ovary. Well, ok, the half that if have.

I have only one ovary. The cancer police came and took the other. I'm ok with that, well, actually...I'm proud it!

Yes, I feel that if you make it through the cancer police alive at all, you should be damn proud and feel free to tell the world about your battle. But, for some reason, I don't feel connected to a lot of the "survivor" stuff.

The t-shirts, the ribbons, the mugs...they just feel like a label to me. I don't know why, but for me, it doesn't feel right. Yes, I want something to reflect on but, I don't necessarily want a "souvenir". I mean, I can't forget about it, so I don't really need a reminder.

Well, a few days ago. I found what I was looking for.

Meet Claire. Her shop, xfreshbatteryx.etsy.com, is awesome. It was there that I found a collection of beautifully embroidered...organs! Yes, I said organs!!!

I love unique and this shop is unique. That's what caught my eye. Then, I got to thinking, maybe Claire could make me a pair of ovarys to hang on my bedroom wall. Not a souvenir, but instead something that puts life into perspective for me. I had ovarian cancer. HAD ovarian cancer. I can battle the morning commute, the office gossip and my bills.

Yes, I thought, I love this idea. But then, I thought to myself, I only have one ovary so two would be silly. And that's when I wrote Claire.

I asked her if she could do a custom piece of just one ovary. And she agreed. I am going to send her my own frame and she is going to work her magic.

I feel really good about this. I will finally have something that allows me to reflect on my battle with the cancer police. But it's not a teal colored ribbon, because that to me, has no meaning. And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that type of thing at all. It just doesn't work for me.

Be sure to check out Claire's shop. And I will be sure to post a picture of my "ovary", when I get it.

xfreshbatteryx.etsy.com

PS...Photo by Claire...

2 comments:

samantha said...

Like you, the cancer police took one of my ovaries. I've used the images of ovaries to help raise awareness for ovarian cancer. My feeling is that people don't pay enough attention to ovarian cancer and young people tend to tune out the ribbons and junk, I know I do. So I've made mosaics of the girly bits as well as knitted wombs as give aways. Its pretty powerful.

Thanks for posting this cross stitch. It's the second one I found today while I was surfing around. Pretty cool stuff.

good luck to you.

Camilla said...

I headed here via Claire and it's so great to read the story behind her new piece of work. I hope your one ovary enjoys being immortalized by her stitchery!